Friday 29 April 2011

A Secret Shared

"I've never met my Dad"

Today I spent some time with Clare Kelly and learned something that I had never before thought to question.

Clare is a twenty-something female musician living in Glasgow. She's currently studying for her Masters Degree in Music: Innovation & Entrepreneurship, whilst drumming for Glasgow based band Suspire and working part-time. Needless to say she's a hard worker.

Now, Rachel Dawes once said "It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you". We all know the story of Bruce Wayne and Batman. Ultimately, it is a tale of deception. He spent his days flaunting his 'playboy' image as Bruce Wayne and spent his evenings battling the forces of evil to protect the city of Gotham as Batman. Two entities; one man. The carefree identity of Bruce Wayne constructed to protect the fragile identity of Batman.

It is interesting to think then, that by this logic, how well do we ever really know the people we let into our lives?

I met Clare about a year ago and my first impression was that of an incredibly enthusiastic and genuine person. However, it is only recently that I have come to know Clare as a friend and as a musician. I know what she does on a daily basis and I know everything that she's working for, therefore I know what she is, if indeed it is what we do that defines us. But what we are is not who we are.

I believe that we all have a Batman to our Bruce Wayne. That we are all actors concealing what is really on the inside. No one can ever truly know what is inside of us - our thoughts; our feelings; our deepest secrets and our darkest desires. So how genuine and authentic can identity ever be?

Musicians can argue that their music is an insight into who they are, but to what extent can you believe that it's true?

Those of you who know Clare, and believe that you know her well, will understand what an amazing, contented person and incredibly dedicated musician she truly is. But how many of you know that she has never met her father?

I'll leave you to ponder that thought.


Love EllieMac x

No comments:

Post a Comment