Tuesday 3 May 2011

Who Are You?


"I began drumming at the age of 6 because I wanted to wake everybody up at 8am every morning!"

It's been four years now since I first met Emma McLaughlin. I can't really remember what my first impression was to be honest - have you ever just met someone out of the blue and that was it? No questions asked? We were both so young and impressionable back then anyway so everything was pretty much a blur. It's only within the last couple of years though that Emma and I really became friends.

Incase you hadn't guessed it; she's a drummer. And an excellent one at that. What I love most though is the reason why she became a drummer. Cute, no? A lot of people (perhaps those who are not so musically oriented?) may suggest that drumming is a boys talent, for example, when Helene Stapinski (previously the drummer for New York band Stephonic) began to play it was only boys who were permitted drum lessons in school. Yes, it's true that times have changed since then - the tomboy in me still remembers that glorious day in Primary School when girls were finally allowed to wear trousers as part of the uniform - but it seems to me that, as much as times have changed and the liberties of women have indeed evolved to become equal with those of men (to an extent), old habits die hard. 

Undoubtedly there are countless female drummers within the music industry today - Meg White of The White Stripes, Jennifer Dunn of Mindless Self Indulgence, Janet Weiss, to name a few - but how many of you have really noticed them? I know I didn't until I started looking.

Where's the support? 

Emma and I got lucky. We grew up with parents who understood the value of creativity and the power that comes with the passion of music. But what of those who aren't so lucky? What about the little girl, aged 6, who so desperately wants to play the drums for whatever reason but never has the opportunity because her parents are too busy planning her future as the next Einstein or Prime Minister or even President of the USA? Perhaps not always feasible but hey, a lot of parents like to dream big for their kids.

People like Me and Emma though, we need music like we need the air to breathe and without it, we would not be who we are today. The question of identity is impossible to answer. Who are you? What makes you, you? I guess a lot of it's to do with instinct. My instinct tells me that I'm a musician first but I have a burning desire to become a writer and a photographer at some point in my life. It tells me that to inflict pain and hurt is wrong and that I want to help people and create beauty in this world because I have to believe that there is better than constant death and carnage. I don't know why I want or feel or know these things, I just do. It's instinct.  It's me. And isn't that what life's about? Following your instincts and exploring new things and places and people and being the best person that you can along the way? Learning from others and using it to your advantage? I know this isn't true for everyone or doesn't always work in the favour of 'good' - if it was then why do we have terrorists in the world? - but to me it's why we're here. So if you're instinct is telling you to play the drums or become a doctor or a teacher or whatever, listen to it and follow it through - no matter what.

Love and let live. Because you never know who you're gonna be. 

Love EllieMac x








No comments:

Post a Comment