Thursday 5 May 2011

Music and Me

"Creating music saved me from a life dominated by paranoia and anxiety"

We never know how things are going to affect us. As human beings I think we have a tendency to believe we're somewhat invincible; that it could never happen to us. Until something does happen and we don't understand why we react in the ways that we do. I remember the first time something happened to me. Well it wasn't just me; it was my friends too. We lost someone. An incredible someone. There's always been this barrier ever since and we've never quite been the same again. We don't talk about it much, or at all really, but I know we all feel it. Anyway, that's when the insomnia started. I had no idea what was going on - I'd always been a reasonably good sleeper - but I guess it was just my body's strange way of dealing with what had happened, or not dealing as the case may have been.

I think it was the music that brought me back to life in the end. It always amazed me how something so general can be so empowering. Music is everywhere and I think a lot of the time that's taken for granted, but what if we stopped to listen for just a minute? What if you lay down with your favourite song, closed your eyes and really listened? What would you notice? Give it a try, just to see.

I met Fiona Liddell just over a year ago and my very first thought was 'this is why I love music'. She has this innate ability to speak to your soul; to convey the most complex and intricate feeling within one simple line. She is living proof that music is a state of being; a passage into the netherworld - it is not a physical entity, you cannot see music: it is entirely spiritual. It's a connection. 

And at the end of the day isn't that what we're all searching for? A connection I mean. A connection with someone or even to something that keeps us safe; that can save us in time of trouble. I guess it all comes down to love - the most powerful connection of all. It's the love that brings us back from the edge. 

Edgar Allan Poe once said "we loved with a love that was more than love" and I have never understood him more.

Love EllieMac x







No comments:

Post a Comment